Wednesday 30 October 2013

The player since 1995




A great advert.

I would like to introduce myself as a keen gamer, I have enjoyed gaming all my life. I just love it so much, my life is one big game. I even play paper, scissor, stone against the Mrs in an attempt to avoid doing the washing up.

I am a lost love of Sony PlayStation. I was with PlayStation, I used to enjoy battling out debates over which was the better console, for many years I stuck by PlayStation.  Sadly around 2007 time, a lost debate resulted with me getting myself the Xbox 360 and that has where I have been until now.

Now I am currently floating between platforms, stuck on whether to go back to PlayStation or to stay with Xbox. Although for now I do not have enough knowledge on the new consoles and what they offer to make that decision – feel free to educate me. I am happy to say I have had amazing experiences with them both and I am sure the next toe to toe launch will be pretty exciting for both parties.

I am currently a floater as I have not yet made up my mind.  So what better time than for Sony to launch a great advert that has successfully got my attention, I was hooked by the amount of information and how clever the artist put the ad together – I loved it.

I loved it that much I spent a whole night watching it over and over again to pick the ad apart as I was guided all over the internet. I would like to share some of what I spotted over the few times of watching, this ad was not only about the success of the PlayStation, but Sony as a whole. The whole add was a journey as I spent the whole night remembering all kinds of lost treasures and relearning what I had forgotten.

Straight away in frame 001 we are bombarded with loads of great information to educate ourselves with.

001 print screen


Red circle – blur PARK LIFE – what a great tune, enough said!

Blue circle – Crash Bandicoot, I remember this game.

Violet circle – not sure of this character – take the screen shot and zoom in if you have an inclination.

Red square – 10 of hearts Sony symbolizing what has, what is and what's to come?

Yellow Square - This looks like a black suit and I am betting it is the 8 of clubs after a little research.

Yellow rectangle – Possibly the Tekken characters. The first game I remember playing on the PlayStation apart from being fascinated by the moving Manta-ray on the dash board, or was it a shark?

Then camera then heads down toward the game set up.

  • Come In we're open sign underneath a world map,
  • There is a black circle image of a red face with soul something written in yellow, maybe a game I have no knowledge of.
  • You then see a red sign saying exit pointing up. Heaven ? direction of company after advert?
006 print screen - What do you see?

Blue Square - INTENT written upside down
Red Square - Forzor is this the Driving game?
Green Circle - Multi tap I think the name was, I had one of these - used to connect more than two controllers.
There are various games on the floor, unable to identify any of them and a NME music magazine, don't recognize picture. Nice rug.

The moving picture then heads towards the door, where we see a a red box with Sony DX, I did a quick search on Google and maybe an old phone or camera.
  • We see a blue Adidas bag  with their older symbol just peeking hidden in the closet. A good friend of Sony perhaps? Maybe using the crown symbol to symbolize something. The thing with adverts, everything is relevant. 
  • Hanging off of the closet door we see a school shirt with tie
  • A dominoes pizza box? on the floor sitting on a magazine with 'THE PACK' just visible. Domino appearing a few times through the advert, must be ad within an ad. I did a quick search on the words THE PACK. Maybe an inside joke to Domino about a promise. Interested on your views - if any.
  • There's a black box with a yellow triangle on, quickly got bored finding significance behind this, plus leave some enjoyment for you.
  • The door where we get a glimpse of some Bryl cream on the chest of draws, a guitar sat on a chair underneath a poster.
018 what do you see?

Red squareBand Airsexy boy  the poster shows a monkey of I love moon,Track 2 Moon being the debut album Moon Safri.
  • Dart board on the door, stuck with darts to the dart board is card paper with purple cross?
  • A boy in red top enters pulls a face does something with his hand, a girl behind. 
  • Against the wall is a bike. 
  • There is a signs on the door saying keep out warning do not enter.
  • The  girl is wearing a scarf and laces are undone, fashion then?
The camera then goes low and back up toward the mirror above the chest of draws,
  • The boy fiddle with his hair, I now see a brick of a  phone - possible the Sony DX?
  • There's a cup with funny character, I do not recognise.
  • There's a medal of some kind hanging off mirror?
  • There is a black hat red symbol red drink bottle underneath
  • We then more back round to the left, where we see a red hat on some nice looking decks.
  • A heart picture on the wall with  a red hat - Jungle something with a picture full of triangles
  • and is that a father Christmas playing with the knobs of the decks -Hiya Santa, Message by Sony to get those Decks for my Mrs at Christmas?
The camera then moves over the closet where we see a shirts squiggle with writing, at frame 031 I could only make out a heart shape on the arm. 

039 what do you see?


Yellow Square - we see a PLACEBO poster half visible. Simply an amazing band.
  I actually took a break to watch cruel intentions at this point.
  • Two guys, one with a comb lodged in his hair? wearing an Adidas top
 The camera moves back round to the TV screen-  they are playing Tekken 
  • At 1.01 we get a good look at the union jack flag, great to see the artist promoting Great Britain we then go round to the window and see fireworks? year 2000 perhaps? stuff disappear from the window ledge. a maroon jacket appears
Camera moves towards the door and we have some dice hanging from the door.
  • top dice has a 1 at the top 5 bottom left and 4 bottom right
  • bottom dice has 6 at the bottom, a 1 top left and a 3 top right
Bike still there, now we have a picture on the wall-  new wall paper on the corridor wall.

 01:13 we see a Kasabian poster- an amazing band again - I enjoyed researching these a little.

There is so much information to look into, but I am sure you get the drift on how deep one can look into things. I will just end with showing the few screen shots I captured. Please let me know if you choose to have a look yourself  and find anything you think may be interesting.

Also take note that each time you reach the window, in the background we see the Gherking buildingThe shard and  The Red Arrows.

01:24 what do you see

Blue circle Franz Ferdinan  never heard of him search for him listen to a few songs quite diverse range differently interesting

01:46 What do you see?
Blue circle - an eye is always watching.
Green CircleTringe I did a quick Google there's a festival called The Tringe.
Yellow Circle - Another Kasabian poster

0201

We have lynx deodorant next to a boost energy drink? a message perhaps? more energy you say?

I don't know what the poster is.
Who's the man in the picture?

I really enjoyed studying this advert and learning from it. This is just a fraction of what can be found, I simply got tired of documenting what I found, but I can ensure you the search is amazing if you look into anything with this kind of eye. You will come across all kinds of wonderful information, so my intent here is to congratulate the artists who put this advert together and to raise some questions and interest into actually what our sub-conscience is fed in any given moment. This was just on the visual, then to walk with you through the sound would be a whole different kettle of fish. One sound that sticks though was - here we go!  a recording sound clip I remember from Ridge Racer.



Happy hunting and thank you for any interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment