Thursday 12 December 2013

GCSE English language controlled assessment UPDATE. I had a change of heart.

I decided to change the conflict poem
I had to write a monologue for a character from one of the conflict group of poems.  I originally chose Belfast Confetti. After some thought I decided that writing a monologue about confusion was too difficult with no back story without it being confusing.

My choice of poem was Poppies by Jane weir which you can listen to here.

I completed the assessment yesterday and left feeling happy that I demonstrated all that was asked. Below is the rough idea I wrote out the night before. I hope you enjoy.


I sit here in your favourite leather chair. I thought what a great moment to write you a letter. I have been up all night. I can't sleep. I have just gotten out of the shower. I love having a shower more than ever now. I noticed you left your lemon vigor shower gel and knew you wouldn't mind me borrowing some. It contains grit lemon flakes that help exfoliate the skin, how nice; I can’t believe you have hid it from me all this time. I feel so refreshed after using it. I find myself basking in the smell of lemon zeal during the morning walk to work. The breeze taste fresh and it is as if the fragrance from the shower gel protects me from all the dirty smells in the street. You'll have to show me where you buy it so i can get myself some as well as replace yours. 

The house feels so empty without you. I am surrounded by all these memories of you dotted over the walls; I love that one of us together at your Pass Out Parade, Mummy’s handsome soldier.

Pam and Angela keep asking after you at work. I tell them you are fine. I do know you are fine. It has been four days since the news mentioned that six soldiers from your brigade were K.I.A by an isolated explosion. They still haven't released any names, they wont do this until all the next of kin have been informed.  They shouldn't release any information at all until then if you ask me.

Cousin David said you are probably very busy doing hero stuff. You better not be thinking you have anything to prove; not to anyone! Do you hear me? You're already my hero, so you just focus on keeping safe Mr. I phoned the barracks and they told me that they can not release any information just of yet. They said that all the next of kin will be informed by 1100hrs today. I just feel for those poor parents that do end up getting the bad news. I know you are absolutely fine otherwise there would be no need for this letter I am writing you. . So you have to be fine; you have no choice about that, sorry.

Not long now my little soldier and you will be safely home. I will put some of those sweets that nan keeps in her sweet jar that you always pinch and send them out to you. I know you love them. I post some other goodies as well as those magazines you and your friends enjoy. I miss you so much, we all do. Everyone is going to be there when you arrive back home. Everyone. I am going to cut this letter short as there is someone at the door. Take care son.

Stay safe. love you so much.

Love mum. xxxx


1 comment:

  1. Had a creative writing class today about using the letter ' I '. This would of benefited from that lesson

    ReplyDelete